Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Positivity, With Purpose

I've always been good at giving others advice. I know this, because I'm intuitive. I've been through enough silliness in my 34 years to be able to relate to situations and stories that others are going through. Obviously, I haven't experienced everything and don't claim to, but I am compassionate with very permeable ego boundaries (thanks Dr. Julia T. Wood, for identifying this in your book), which helps me put myself in other people's shoes and really feel what they're going through.

But what I often find more challenging, is taking advice - my own, or that sought from others. I'm getting better at it though. As I've relinquished control over many aspects of my life over time in the last many years (having a child will do that to you), I've learned to listen and internalize the advice given to me from outside sources.

For my sage advisers, it's important to me that you know that even if I don't actively follow your advice immediately, your words almost always stick with me.

Which leads me to today's post.... An old friend suggested that I keep writing.... That even if I only write for me, it's worthwhile. That perhaps my stories (rather personal in nature) or my writing style (I write the way I speak - or at least the way I think) will inspire others. I can't say I'm sure how that would happen, but the ultimate point was - there is a purpose. And that purpose, is positivity.

With every word that I write, my mind becomes more clear, my heart lighter. Any internal burden is lessened and my outlook becomes a bit more rosy.

When my thoughts are trapped and twisted inside my head and I have difficulty expressing them, I find that I'm able to work out the kinks when I put pen to paper (or, these days, fingers to keyboard).

Today is not one of those days, it's just this nagging feeling that I should follow that advice and keep writing.

Maybe it's that Spring is here, breathing new life into the same old city... I've always felt most inspired by the blooming of the season, before the oppressive heat begins. Maybe it's because I am regaining my confidence as a writer. Maybe it's because I'm so overwhelmed with love that I want to share it.

Whatever the reason, for whatever life brings, in its infinite opportunities, endings and new beginnings - I hope, that at least for someone (even if that someone is me), my writing serves a purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment