Thursday, January 10, 2013

Heart Song

For some time, and for the first time in many years, all aspects of my life have harmonized into a beautiful concerto that has lulled me into a state of bliss.

The amazing man I told you about before is firmly implanted in my life and has been for quite a while now. I spend less time each day taming that inner Alpha Bitch I mentioned, and it's given way to an alluring and glorious love that I could not have conceived on the day of that sold-out baseball game in 2011.

I'm not one for resolutions, other than resolving not to make them. I haven't done it in years. I see no point in starting my year by setting myself up for failure or disappointment.

Instead, I focus every day on trying to be a better person than the day before; kinder, more patient, more generous.... But at the start of this new year, I do find myself reflecting on the past year and realizing what a fantastic journey I've traveled.

The beginning of 2012 started with an explosion in my work life. I lost my job, filed for unemployment, started interviewing, took a consulting position and found a temporary home with an organization that I found to be a comforting change of pace. Between working for a worthy mission, the kindness of the team I worked with and the faith they had in me to do my job, they renewed my spirit and my professional confidence.

While waiting for a permanent position to solidify with that organization, I applied for a permanent position elsewhere, where I was subsequently hired. I focused, for the first time, on the quality of life, the culture and the people of the organizations I was considering. And from the first phone interview with my new boss, I knew it would be a great place for me. Like my new position, she and I are a perfect fit as boss/employee relationships go. And within the few months that I've been working with her, she has also become my friend. For these things, I am truly grateful.

Though the burden was heavier on some days than others, it has been eased by my faith in God, my child's precious face (and hugs), my loved ones and the intensely supportive love of this man who came into my life two summers ago. His family has become a fixture in my life, too, and I love them as if they were my own.

Most days, I find myself overwhelmed by the amount of love I have in my heart - for him, my child, my family, my friends. But it's not just the abundance of love I'm sending out into the universe that overwhelms me - it's the love I feel in return flowing back to me that makes my heart sing. It's the sincere and genuine depth of his love that I feel all around me. It protects me. Encourages me. Emboldens me. Strengthens me.

Regardless of how often we are together (which admittedly, is not nearly as often as either of us would like - but such is the life of two working adults, one of whom is a parent), there is little I see or hear or do that doesn't remind me of him and fill my heart with joy - sometimes to the point of overflowing.

He complements me in ways I'm not sure he even realizes. We teach each other, learn from each other and love one other with mutual respect. Family members and friends have commented on what a great team we make - something that had been missing from my life for quite some time, and I suspect his as well. 

So instead of a resolution for what is to come, I'd like to give thanks for what has already come to pass. Thank you 2012, for being infinitely better than I could have dreamed a year ago. Thank you, my love, for being everything you are and loving me so completely. Thank you to my child, whose hugs and love made even the tough days sweet. And thank you God, for answered prayers.

As we begin 2013, I have only to resolve to keep the lessons, trust in love and relish in the harmony of the music.

1 comment: